Information found on this page has been archived and is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. Please visit
NRC's new site
for the most recent information.
Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the
Communications Policy of the Government of Canada,
you can request alternate formats by
[ E-mail alerts ]
This is your entry point to NRC-IRC's large collection of publications, papers and reports issued since our founding in 1947.
Many complete documents are available free on our Web site, including the practice publications listed below.
Note: The NRC-IRC publications database is no longer maintained and all of the publications have been transferred over to the NRC Publications Archive where you can conduct your search.
Official Languages Notice
Codes and Guides
NRC-IRC is the home of the National Building Code, the National Fire Code and the National Plumbing Code, the models for virtually all building, fire and plumbing regulations in Canada. These codes and several other model codes, along with various companion guides, are all available from NRC-IRC and can be purchased online or through traditional means.
[ Descriptions | Purchase ]
Popular practice publications (free on the Web)
- Construction Innovation - This quarterly newsletter provides news of research projects, recent research results, product evaluations, code developments and conference highlights. Subscribe
- Construction Technology Updates - These practical 4-6 page publications, part of a current series presenting applications of research results and reviews of building science issues, are intended for architects, engineers, specification writers, property managers, builders and building officials.
- Registry of Product Evaluations - The Registry contains all Evaluation Reports and Listings for products evaluated by NRC-IRC's Canadian Construction Materials Centre, providing users with easy access to technical and standards-related data on hundreds of evaluated materials, products and construction systems.
- Échos techniques - This two-page leaflet, containing short articles on building technology and related news from NRC-IRC, is published six times a year and distributed to Québec architects through a partnership with the Ordre des architectes du Québec.
- Seminar publications - This is a collection of publications and other documentation arising from building science and construction technology seminars presented by NRC-IRC since 1982.
- Canadian Building Digests - This is a discontinued but still valuable series of 250 4-page treatises containing scientific and technical principles, background information and practical guidelines on virtually every aspect of building design, materials and construction in Canada, published between 1960 and 1990.
- Building Practice Notes - This discontinued series of publications, issued between 1976 and 1986, presented observations, explanations and guidelines on a wide variety of everyday building issues and concerns. Much of the information remains relevant today and most of the titles are presented here in full.
Special Technical Publications (in PDF)